Physio Tullamore are delighted to announce the availability of Shockwave therapy for patients suffering with chronic tendon pain. This state of the art machine has been proven to be very effective for treating those tendon problems that “wont go away”
Can it help You?
A shockwave is a purely mechanical wave, not an electric one. The treatment initiates an inflammation-like response in the tissue that is being treated. The body responds by increasing the blood circulation and metabolism in the impact area which in turn accelerates the body’s own healing processes. The shockwaves break down injured tissue and calcifications
How does it work?
- Usually 5-6 sessions are required.
- Each treatment takes approximately 5-10 minutes to be delivered.
- No anaesthetic is required (Avoid pain provoking exercise for 48 hours following treatment)
- The shockwave is delivered to the tissue via a compressed air impulse exerted by the hand piece.
- No surgery or other therapy is required and treatment can usually start straight away.
- No anaesthesia
- Non invasive
- No medication
- No surgery
- Fewer complications
- Virtually painless after treatment
- Significant clinical benefit often seen 6-8 weeks after treatment
- International evidence based studies show a 77% success rate in the treatment of chronic tendinopathy conditions.
- It is important to highlight that we would expect positive clinical outcomes following treatment however there is a chance that the treatment may not improve your symptoms.
A review at 12 weeks is recommended following your final treatment. If at this stage your symptoms persist you will be advised of alternative treatments/surgery by your medical practitioner.